Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Top 100 Sites
Description: Runs just over 14 miles, from Cambridge to the junction with the River Ouse at Popes Corner. There are also four navigable tributaries.
History: Promoted by Acts of 1702 and 1813.
See Priestley's Navigable Rivers and Canals for more information.
Reported on a survey of the river and the conflicts between navigation and drainage interests and sandbanks between Clayhithe and Cambridge.
River improvements were promoted by Act.
Promoted by Act.
He issued his report on the river and estimated it would cost £5,125 to carry out his recommended improvements. He also suggested that the Jesus Green Sluice, which was a few hundred yards downsteam from the present lock, should be rebuilt and had advice on how barge traffic past the colledge backs could be improved.
The River Cam. By P Bonthron. First published.
Photographs taken between the 1930s and 50s published by Cambridgeshire Libraries Publications in 1996 in the book Along the Cam and the Great Ouse with Briscoe Snelson.
The Rivers Cam & Lower Great Ouse, Published by Imray Laurie Norie & Wilson -Large scale chart of the rivers in an A5 ring binder. Compiled together with the Great Ouse Boating Association.
Along the Cam and the Great Ouse with Briscoe Snelson by Peter Snelson, Published by Cambridgeshire Libraries Publications 1996 Photographs taken between the 1930s and 50s.